Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Elusive Inspiration

People sometimes ask me where I get my inspiration, and I never have a good response. I keep meaning to memorize a stock answer, something like, "I'm always most inspired when I'm surrounded by nature" (which is a lie, but sounds more plausible than the truth and is also a lot shorter). Here's an example of the type of hard-to-describe incident that inspires me. In fact, this particular one resulted in the extra-long blue quartz pendant photographed here that's now available in my Etsy shop, as well as a few similar necklaces with different stones that will be in the shop soon.

I recently spent a week in Seattle visiting friends and family. While there, I found myself at a mall with a Tory Burch Boutique. I adore Tory Burch flats and a few of her accessories and am a huge admirer (read, jealous!) of her business success, but most of her products don't speak to me. But I'd never been in one of her boutiques and thought I might as well take a peek.

The shop's ambience didn't do much for me, and nothing on the shelves or racks insisted that it had to be mine. I didn't spend more than a few minutes in the store before I was ready to leave. On my way out, I stopped to glance in the jewelry case. One of the pieces in it was a long, brightly colored enamel pendant; I think it was pink and orange. I didn't like it; it was too garish for my taste. But, as I looked at it, something in my mind clicked into place. I envisioned one of my standard necklace styles (a blue quartz pendant, similar to the one in these photos, but shorter and more understated) changed—just a bit. I'd use the same stone but put it on a longer, heavier, antique-plated brass chain instead of the delicate double gold-filled ones. It would be similar, but a completely different look. And I knew instantly that I would make it and that I would love it. (That others will love it I can only hope.)

How a too-bright hot pink and orange Tory Burch pendant I didn't even like caused this small movement in my mind that eventually ended up resulting in a new design, I have no idea. I do know that this meandering explanation doesn't make a very good sound bite. The necklace, though, is cool. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment