Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Jeans That Fit for Girls with Hips: The Straight Skinny


If you happen, like me, to be blessed (or cursed, depending on how you look at it) with "womanly" hips AND to love wearing jeans as much as I do, you already know that finding stylish, flattering jeans that really fit can be the equivalent of a part-time job, if not a full-time obsession. After much experimentation, though, I finally feel happy that in my closet are several pairs of jeans of different types that all fit really well and won't require you to tell your children that if they want to go to college, well, they'd better start putting money in their piggy banks ASAP.

Here are three pairs of jeans that I highly recommend:

Gap Real Straight. These jeans are so flattering, and I love the "dark" wash. It's not super dark (there's a darker one in this style that I haven't tried), and the denim is very soft and doesn't stretch out too much. For me, the petites are just right (I'm five three and a half); the length is perfect (I'm often too short for regulars and too tall for petites—so annoying!). The petite sizes run smaller than the regulars. So, if the 8 regulars are a little big, the 8 petites will be perfect. Gap is always offering specials; if you're patient you can probably get these for 30% off or more.

Lucky Brand Charlie Baby Boot. What I like about these, in addition to the fit and the super-soft denim (mine are the "Ol Ranchito" wash), is that the part of the leg that's right below the knee is nice and slim.   Because my legs are short, I find that jeans that are too wide in that area make them look stumpy. Not so with this pair! Also, there is a wide selection of lengths. For me, the 32" is just right—a teensy bit long with flats, but I can still get away with it, and long enough so I can wear them with a small heel, too. Although these jeans never seem to go on sale, in my opinion they're well worth the price.

Loft's Super Skinny. This is a new style for Loft, and I love them! Like leggings, but they're jeans, so you feel more like you have actual clothes on. The petites are the perfect cropped length. But be warned, they run small! The greatest thing about these jeans is that they are high-waisted enough that they don't slip down as you move around, resulting in the all-too-common "muffin top," the bane of women with hips who want to wear skinny jeans (which, contrary to popular belief, I believe can be flattering on any body type as long as they fit well, are made of the right kind of fabric, and are worn with the right type of top). One word of warning: you really need to go into the store and try these on, because the fit can be very different depending on the wash. I have the Storm Blue wash, which I adore, but the same jeans, same size, in the black wash fit horribly. Like Gap, Loft seems to have a sale every other day, so wait for one and you can get a sweet deal on these.

Good luck, and have fun shopping!


No comments:

Post a Comment